Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What inspires Sheila Landry

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


Sheila Landry, based in Nova Scotia, Canada, is one of the most prolific scroll saw woodworkers, designers, and artists today. She has been a Contribiting Editor to Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine for 15 years. 

The variety and scope of patterns available on  SheilaLandryDesigns.com, is astounding. Be sure to stop by and pick her latest catalog.

This article is also available in a printer-friendly pdf.



Inspiration.

When I was first approached to write an article on the subject of inspiration, I thought it would be easy. There are many sources where I find inspiration and I am constantly full of new ideas. It seems that my biggest challenge that I experience is finding the time to implement all the ideas I come up with and convert them from ideas into reality. But as I sit here and begin to write, I find that talking about what inspires is a somewhat daunting task, as I realize that because there is no one single thing or place inspires me, it is a bit difficult for me to organize my thoughts and present them to you in an orderly manner. 

Inspiration is all around us. We only need to train ourselves to sit back and observe and allow our senses to recognize it for what it is. That is not always automatic or easy. 

Some of us are born with the longing to create.

I know I was. Some of my earliest memories from my childhood are of me sitting on the porch of my Chicago home and embroidering designs on my grandmother’s tea towels. I was always a busy child and my grandmother had some iron-on transfers and pretty colors of DMC embroidery thread and she taught me all the basic stitches in hopes of keeping me busy. To this day I still remember her telling me that “good embroidery is judged not only how the front of the piece looks, but also how neat the back looks.”  It is funny how those words have followed me all throughout my life, and to this day I take care with being sure that my projects not only look good from the front side, but from the back as well. It was an idea that was instilled in me at an early age, and it became something that set a standard for my lifetime. 

As I grew up, I found the satisfaction of ‘making things.’ From coloring, to bead work and even sewing -  the more I made things, the better and more accomplished I felt. We didnt have a lot growing up, but we always kept busy by doing assorted crafts and making things to play with that we didnt have the money to buy.  

During my grammar school days, my best friend and I would also spend hours making things. We drew flip books and made hand-sewn toys and puppets out of scraps or old clothing, or we made jewelry out of bead kits that were inexpensive and easy to find. It was then that I discovered painting too and found that I liked to replicate things through painting. There was something amazing about being able to re-create things around us and creating became an important part of my life. 

It was at this time that I began to look at the world around me in a different way. No longer were clouds just “clouds”.  They were soft transitions of colors and they had depth and thickness and soft shapes. I would look at a sky and think of the colors I would need to paint them in a painting. I would look at the transparency of a cat’s ear and wonder how I would translate it to a painting or even a drawing and still show its sheerness and delicacy. These were all the types of things that began to fill my mind on a regular basis.

Looking at wood differently

As I began woodworking, I looked at wood differently as well. The beautiful curve in the legs of a table. The intricate pattern of the crown moulding in an old building. The inlay work on my old bedroom set that was built in the 1940’s. I noticed so much more than I had previously when I looked at something, and I found it made me want to learn more and create more and replicate what I had seen. 

I started doing scrollwork over fifteen years ago. Like many, I began using patterns that were created by others. One of the first projects that I decided to make was an 18” spandrel for my best friend who was remodeling her kitchen. I had just purchased a scroll saw and couldnt wait to see what I would be able to make with it. I found a pattern for a jewelry box in a book and the pattern on the lid of the box was just what I was envisioning for the spandrel, so I enlarged it and used it for the project. Little did I know that would be the beginning of my career designing woodworking patterns. 

There was much to learn with scroll sawing. During those first years of woodworking, each project brought with it more valuable knowledge that enabled me to advance. As my skills improved, so did my dissatisfaction of patterns that were available. Soon I began changing others’ patterns more and more to suit my needs and before long I was designing projects completely on my own, using my own ideas and techniques. Without realizing it, I had crossed an imaginary line and went from being a student to teaching others. I set up my website and began selling my patterns and contributing designs to woodworking magazines.  

Fifteen years later, I am still here designing. I have more ideas than ever and I only hope that there will be enough hours in each day for me to accomplish what I set out to do. Many times I have people ask me where I get my ideas from, and the only way I can truthfully answer them is with one word - everywhere!

Mallard Duck Forest Leaf Plaque
We only need to open our eyes and look around us.

Inspiration is everywhere. I find it as I walk through the woods near my house. The shape of the leaves. The sound of the birds singing. The toad stools growing on the fallen logs. I am inspired by smells and sounds and shapes of all that are around me. A single idea, such as a fallen leaf, can lead to an entire series of designs. 

There are other places which inspire me as well. Growing up in the Chicago area, I was able to see and appreciate all the beautiful architecture that the city had to offer. In my early 20’s, I worked for Continental Bank, which at the time operated out of eight buildings in the downtown Chicago area. I loved working in the big city, and will never forget that first day when I walked in to the lobby of the bank. I was taken aback by the stunning design of the building, and I felt as if I had gone back in time. In working at the bank, I was exposed to many of their different buildings, including the Rookery Building, which was designed in part by Frank Lloyd Wright (In 1905, Wright was commissioned to update the interior of the light court and lobbies.) The beautiful lines and appointments of buildings not only in Chicago, but all over the world have made a huge impression on me, and has inspired many of my designs.

The Rookery Building, Chicago

Wright Inspired Candle Tray

Classic shapes from nature, as well as animals, flowers, and even seashells inspire me. I like to take a form from nature and transform it into wood. I found that adding simple embellishments such as pearls or crystals really made even a simple project look polished and finished.

Fretwork Candle Tray

I find that I am very inspired by nostalgic items as well. There is a certain amount of comfort that I feel when recreating simple items from days gone by. I think that people relate to these items and the projects help to bring them back to what they perceive as simpler times.  These replicas evoke feelings of security and reassurance to many, especially in these uncertain times.

Polar Bear Pull Toy
Functionality also feeds my inspiration. Items of necessity are very popular, as they not only look aesthetically pleasing, but they also provide a service. Items like boxes, cheese and candle trays, eyeglass holders and other useful items prove to be a wonderful basis for finding inspiration. I look at similar items and think how I can make them unique and the result can be anywhere from classical...

Cheese Please Tray


...to comical:
See Creature White Tail Deer

Additionally, I do find inspiration from different holidays. Whether nostalgic or modern, people love to celebrate and decorate for the holidays. Surrounding ourselves with pieces that depict certain holidays can bring to surface all those feeling of holidays past with our family and friends. Inspirations include cards, movies, a song, or even a group of holiday colors that bring thoughts of a certain season.  Translating these inspirations into wood working project is both fun and exciting. I just never know what I will be inspired to do next!

Fretwork Masks

Share with other creative people

Finally, I find a great deal of inspiration from other people around me. As an artist and designer, I surround myself with other positive and creative people. I find that the best way to be creative and inspired is to share ideas with others who share your passion for creating. It doesnt have to be people who have your exact interests. Besides woodworking, I also do a bit of painting and I find that both groups of people are a very positive influence in my life and keep me motivated and excited and passionate about what I do. 

Finding the right people either in nearby clubs or classes can be very stimulating, and communicating with others who have similar interests as yourself is a wonderful way to keep those creative juices flowing.  We are fortunate to live in a time when we have access to many wonderful social groups and classes though the internet. Especially for those who are like myself and live in a remote area, these groups are imperative for social interaction and I believe they do a great deal to inspire creativity. Many groups have wonderful exchanges and things of that nature which allow you to share your creativity with others who enjoy it. The feedback and resources these types of interactions allow is something that is very important to many, and many depend on it to keep a positive outlook and keep motivated.

So what happens when we just don’t feel inspired? 

Everyone has those days, I am afraid. It seems that sometimes (usually when you need it most!) you just can’t seem to come up with an idea that you feel is good enough to move you forward. You may have a deadline for a show. You may have a birthday or special occasion that is approaching and you NEED to come up with something new and unique for the event. It feels as if the walls are closing in and you arent able to think of anything that strikes your fancy. It is not a good place to be!

While many feel that trying harder is the answer when this occurs, I find that the opposite has helped me more than not. When I have a deadline to come up with an idea and I have been wracking my brain as to what to do, I find that ‘disconnecting’ for a while and changing gears does wonders to help me get back on the creative track.

Sometimes I go for a walk, and try not to think about anything in particular. Other times I take off and head for the beach, where the sound of the waves and the warmth of the sun are the only things that I am aware of. Sometimes spending time alone, with only yourself and your thoughts, is the best way to give yourself the rest you need and get those creative juices flowing.

Stop and disconnect

While being connected to the world is definitely a plus, there are times when we feel overwhelmed and overloaded and we just need to stop and disconnect.  Our heads are so full of family, chores, work, bills, and countless other worries that it is difficult for us to relax and focus on ourselves. I regularly take ‘quiet’ time where I try to have as little input as possible to give my head a rest. My early morning times are a great time for me to quietly contemplate what I wish to accomplish for the day. I guard that precious time fiercely and I try to allow some time to be thoughtful every single day. I am amazed at how well this short time of quiet clears my head and allows me to ‘reboot’ and feel as if I am starting fresh. I find that most of my best ideas come to me during these quiet times.

Finally, I am going to close with a bit of advice about your inspirations. I suggest you keep a small notebook near you, and use it to record any thoughts or ideas you may have regarding projects. Even if an idea seems silly at the time, you may look back on it later on and it could be a springboard for something else. This also helps you be more aware of things around you and helps you see the inspirations that are always there for the taking. 

There is inspiration all around us! All we need to do is to open our eyes, be aware of it, and allow it to come into our hearts and souls. While what inspires each individual is unique, we live in such a wondrous world that there is plenty of inspiration for all of us. We only need to allow it to find us.

My office: the beach!



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment